Name: VLC Media Player
Developer: VideoLAN Project
Mac Platform: Intel
OS Version: OS X 10.7 or later
Processor type(s) & speed: 64-bit processor
Web Site: http://www.videolan.org
Multi-platform multimedia player that helps its users play, convert and stream most popular video and formats via a simple and intuitive user interface
At the moment, the software market is completely flooded with multimedia players designed to fit the needs of any user and with a focus on various modes of operation.
Some of them come with an expert set of features that allows you to adjust each function manually, while others have a simple and friendly look that will help, even the users unaccustomed with how a media player should work, to get started playing video and audio content right away.
On the other hand, VLC Media Player (also known as VLC), packs both of these within one intuitive interface that will give you quick and direct access to features as advanced as you want.
Media player with support for a vast array of multimedia formats
Although its main window won't impress you, its Preferences window will enable you to adjust a staggering number of options when clicking the innocent looking “Show All” button.
Among its most popular features is also the fact that it comes with built-in support to a plethora of input media, as well as the most popular video and audio formats nowadays.
Additionally, aside from being able to play all of them, VLC Media Player will also help one convert between nearly all and stream them on a network of your choice.
Online music and video services browser
Furthermore, just in case you're not one to keep a collection of music on your own Mac, VLC Media Player also comes with a built-in Internet music services browser, neatly tucked within its main window sidebar.
This makes it really easy to quickly browse a set of free music charts, the Freebox TV's listing, an extensive directory of online radios via the Icecast Directory and the Kamendo Selections, as well as a almost unlimited supply of videos and video podcasts provided by the Channels.com service.
Large variety of audio configuration options
Moreover, while playing multimedia content, you can use VLC Media Player's “Audio Effects” window to enable and adjust an equalizer, a dynamic range compressor, an audio spatializer and a number of filters that will make the audio experience a lot more enjoyable, for example, if you're watching your movies or listening to podcasts wearing headphones.
Multimedia player with support for a vast amount of audio and videos formats
All in all, VLC Media Player may not have a user interface that matches Apple's design guidelines, but its extensive set of features speaks for itself once you put it to work.
What's more, its GPL license and comprehensive multimedia format support are surely worth taking into consideration when searching for a new or better multimedia player for your Mac.
What’s new in VLC Media Player 3.0.1
February 28th, 2018
- Fix use-after-free when cleaning playlists
- Fix crash on exit on Windows
- Fix HLG tone mapping on some systems like macOS.
- Fix screensaver inhibition on Windows XP
- Fix various Direct3D11 crashes
- Fix HDR tone mapping in Direct3d11
- Fix pink screen on Windows
- Fix potential stack buffer overflow with faad
- Enable Cineform HD in avcodec
- macOS: Improve HEVC 10bit performance with Videotoolbox
- android: Add MPEG2 support via MediaCodec
- Fix HEVC decoding with some files on Android/macOS/iOS
- Improve Direct3D11 memory usage
- Improve MKV seeking speed
- Fix xspf base URL handling
- Fix reading mp4 trun with moof based offsets
- Fix adaptive http redirections
- Replace old API, fixing adaptive TLS leak
- Use mime type as fallback for HLS segment type
- Fix subtitle (srt,ssa..) seek when having a single entry
- Flag non default HDMV subset video streams
- Increase TS probing amount for 4K streams
- Miscellaneous MKV, MP4 & AVI crash fixes
- Fix out of bounds read in mpeg4video
- Improve chromecast loading speed
- Improve local/chromecast transition during playback
- Fix chromecast loading with some versions of Windows
- Fix chromecast loading with some chromecast devices (TVs and Android boxes)
- Fix wrong first cover art when casting
- Fix casting to VP9
- Re-add option to disable the fullscreen controller panel
- Auto-layout improvements
- Remove misleading playback warning indicator
- Fix crash with the interface for lua extensions (like VLSub)
- Fix show sidebar setting being ignored on restart
- Fix MKV files association
- Fix chromecast audio detection
- Improve scaling on HiDPI displays
- Improve interface look and feel.