TextMate brings Apple’s approach to operating systems into the world of text editors. By bridging UNIX underpinnings and GUI, TextMate cherry-picks the best of both worlds to the benefit of expert scripters and novice users alike.
The application is using powerful search tools (the “grep” command) and robust macros or snippets in order to help you automize repetitive tasks. The best part is that you get to record your own macros.
A list of highlights follow, you can follow the links to learn more.
- Ability to Search and Replace in a Project
- AutoIndent for Common Actions Like Pasting Text
- AutoPairing of Brackets and Other Characters
- Clipboard History
- Column Selections and Column Typing
- Completion of Words from Current Document
- CSSlike Selectors to Pinpoint the Scope of Actions and Settings
- Declarative Language Grammars for Graceful Mixing and Hacking
- Dynamic Outline for Working With Multiple Files
- Expand Trigger Words to Code Blocks With Tabable Placeholders
- File Tabs when Working With Projects
- Foldable Code Blocks
- Function Popup for Quick Overview and Navigation
- Plugable Through Your Favorite Scripting Language
- Recordable Macros With No Programming Required
- Regular Expression Search and Replace (grep)
- Run Shell Commands from Within a Document
- Support for Darcs, Perforce, SVK, and Subversion
- Support for More Than 50 Languages
- Switch Between Files in Projects With a Minimum of Key Strokes
- Themable Syntax Highlight Colors
- Visual Bookmarks to Jump Between Places in a File
- Works As External Editor for (s)ftp Programs
- Works Together With Xcode and Can Build Xcode Projects
Compatibility: macOS 10.9 or later 64-bit
Web Site: http://macromates.com/
What’s New in TextMate 2.0 RC 13
- Release notes not available at the time of this post.