Descriptions for Name Mangler 3.4.1
Name: Name Mangler 3
Release Date: April 09, 2018
Developer: Many Tricks
MAS Rating: 4+
Mac Platform: Intel
OS Version: OS X 10.8 or later
Includes: Pre-K’ed (TNT)
Web Site: https://manytricks.com/namemangler
Mac App Store: https://itunes.apple.com/app/name-mangler-3/id603637384?mt=12
Name Mangler is a blazingly-fast multi-file renaming tool that’s incredibly easy to use.
- Create single or multistep renaming actions, save them, and share them across Macs
- Rename in excess of 2,000 files per second
- Use files’ metadata (e.g. ISO speed, dimensions, bit rate, etc.) in new names
- Before and after views of your filenames insure you rename them as you intend
- Save renaming tasks as droplets: just draganddrop files onto a droplet, and they’ll be renamed
- Load any previouslyused rename action from the History browser
Name Mangler 3 represents a quantum leap forward in file renaming: speed and beauty combined with ease of use, and loaded with features.
For those coming from Name Mangler 2, here’s what’s new in this version:
— Tons of new features—
- Multistep renaming lets you perform complex renaming tasks without touching Advanced mode
- Metadata accessible for use in all renaming operations, via an intuitive metadata browser
- Save any renaming action as a Preset, and automatically sync those presets across Macs
- Export renaming actions for sharing via email, etc.
- History keeps track of all performed actions, making it simple to reuse these actions
- Revert lastused renaming operation
- Shiftdrag to file list will add the dragged files to the existing list
- Delete presets (and snippets, see below) from within Name Mangler by using the Option key
- Optionally display only files that will be renamed, instead of all files in the list
- Automatically detect potential duplicates and flag (or optionally automatically fix)
- Finder is no longer required to be running to use Name Mangler
- Check for file writable status and warn user if files are not writable
— User interface improvements—
- Fully retinaized for the retina Mac laptops
- The popup button for the rename operations has been moved out of the toolbar
- The ‘Rename’ button is in a more logical and visible spot
- Choose a dark or light appearance for the file list area
- The rename action area can be expanded horizontally
- Status lights next to each filename deliver ataglance info on renaming state
- Interim results show filenames at each step of a multistep renaming task
- Tooltips show original names, new names, and errors
- Query field in Find and Replace makes it more obvious when in regular expression mode
- Status light for regular expressions shows syntax checking state (green=good, red=bad)
- New large icon view
- Automatic view mode determines what details to show based on sort order
— Mind-boggling speed improvements—
- Load tens of thousands of files from Finder in only seconds
- 50 to 100+ times faster than Name Mangler 2
- Rename from 1,000 to in excess of 2,000 files per second
- So fast, you may think it’s not doing anything…but it is!
— New/improved renaming actions—
- New action: Compose, to start with a completely blank slate
- Split Insert/Remove into two distinct actions
- Split Prefix/Suffix into two distinct actions
- Sequence has been greatly simplified, thanks to multistep
- New Sequence formats: Roman Numerals and Letters
- Sequence start and increments can be negative
- Increased the maximum and minimum limits for Sequence values
- Arbitrary Terms is now a format in the Sequence action
- Arbitrary Terms can take a CSV formatted file as input
— Advances in Advanced mode—
- New function: [random (number of character) from (pool)]
- Autocomplete functions and variables
- Tab to next empty parameter
- Selection (or line) can be shifted in or out via Command[ and Command]
- Find and replace
- Save any Advanced program as a Preset for easy reuse
- Create snippets of portions of code for easy reuse in other Advanced programs
- Automatically sync snippets to multiple Macs
What’s New in Name Mangler 3.4.1
- Hold down Shift in the ‘List’ popup menu to select Files, Folders, and Folders Contents with one click.
- Set regular expressions’ free spacing mode on/off in Name Mangler’s preferences.
- Change the default action (Find and Replace) to whatever you like: Set up your action(s), then hold the Option key and select File > Save Default Configuration.
- The good/problem/error indicators are now distinct in both shape and color; we apologize for the previously nondifferented indicators, which caused problems for color blind users.
- If you exclude files from renaming operations, we now present a (hopefully) much clearer dialog, letting you know that files won’t be renamed.
- Updated indicators in the List popup menu to more clearly show what’s been selected.
- Fixed a bug involving quotes when using Find in Advanced mode renaming actions. (Hat tip to Hermann W. for finding this one.)
- Fixed a bug related to manually entering a value in the Index field of the Insert or Remove action, then using the up and down arrows.
Daily Ranking – Top 5 in This Category