Descriptions for Mellel 4.1
Mac Platform: Intel
OS Version: OS X 10.6 or later
Includes: Pre-K’ed (TNT)
Web Site: http://www.mellel.com/
Keeping complex documents in order is not an easy task, especially if you need to include various tables, lists, images, footnotes, references and much more. Mellel is a powerful word processor that comes with an Outline tool designed to help you manage your document in an efficient manner.
Classic text editing tools and outline tool for easy document navigation
To get you started, Mellel provides a collection of document templates organized by type: default (portrait with white / blue / yellow background, landscape, letter or letter landscape), letter, envelope, resume, form, newsletter, certificate and other. Simply select the document type and start editing.
Mellel includes all the classic text editing tools and its interface is organized in a manner familiar to anyone that has used a text processor before. However, to avoid cluttering its main window, Mellel is providing the Attributes and styles customization options in a separate panel.
If you are dealing with large documents, enabling the Outline panel can prove to be extremely beneficial: here you can view the project’s structure and quickly jump to specific areas.
Advanced tools for writing and wrapping text around images
Mellel enables you to attach footnotes and endnotes, to add reference notes anywhere you like, to include headings and titles or to manage the document bibliography, the used citations and more.
Other useful capabilities include the possibility to create a Table of Contents and to count the elements included in the project in a very organized manner. You are able to specify exactly what should be counted: words, images, citations, tables, footnotes and more.
Of course, Mellel offers you the possibility to include images and graphics into your projects but that does not mean that the document flow is interrupted: you get to wrap text around them and make everything look very natural.
Full-featured Mac word processor for highly documented projects
In addition, the Mellel app can also be successfully used to process small documents and the predefined templates will also further simplify your work.
However, Mellel’s advanced capabilities will prove to be extremely useful if you need to manage large documents that have a large bibliography and include multiple references, citations, footnotes and so on.
What’s new in Mellel 4.1.0 Build 41019
March 20th, 2018
- Native DOCX import
- Character tracking
- Auto-kerning for most TT fonts
- Minimum word spacing
- reduced minimum width for auxiliary pane (outline, index, story)
- adjusted layout for character palette, popover and style editor
- adjusted layout for character palette, popover and style editor
- improved spacing for preferences toolbar, avoiding clashes and truncation of item names in certain localisation
- removed registration prompt from “Welcome to Mellel” window
- simpler and clearer registration prompt
- better display of checkmark/minus in selected table cells in the palettes
- ruler – drawing and allowing to click tabs that lie beyond the frame
- ruler – Added some fudging when calculating opposite tab so we can catch the tab even if it is right on the frame edge or a little beyond
- RTF/DOCX import font matching: looking up the “Regular” face when font name is family name instead of taking the first family member
- alternating colour for outline items
- no double indent for wrapping outline items
- no room reserved for outline item icon if no icon is used
- option to truncate outline items instead of wrapping the lines
- better distinction to the remark in outline items by using a vertical line next to it
- limiting outline item indent (normally based on font size)
- “soft-click” (click after a pause on a selected item) on outline items will enter editing only when clicking on the the actual text of the item, clicking outside will navigate to the beginning of the section
- Auto-title palette now showing the flow level of selected Auto-title with a checkmark next to the flow name when an Auto-title is selected in text
- Auto-title palette now effects and reflects the selection in the outline pane
- continuation paragraphs as explicit attributes
- allowing to set continuation paragraph indent and margin per auto-title level
- allowing to override continuation level indent and margin in document and save it into the auto-title setup
- indent/outdent for multi-paragraphs (indenting auto title paragraphs as auto-title paragraphs and continuation paragraphs as continuation paragraphs)
- indicating level of auto-title paragraph or continuation paragraph in auto-title palette
- applying levels using palette by manipulating the level of auto-title or continuation according to the type of paragraph
- Story points are drawn on their own line with a default font and default alignment and margin with a background and lines along the sides.
- Preferences option to set the font size for story points
- “soft-click” on story points in the pane will only enter editing if the click is within the text of the title. Otherwise it will navigate to the story point
- Fixed an issue that caused strikethrough to be drawn at the bottom of the letters instead of the middle under High Sierra
- Fixed an issue that caused story points names not to be updated after editing the name in the pane and pressing return
- Fixed an issue that caused “diamond” styles to appear in a document after adding an index style to the style set
- Fixed a bug that caused pressing the “Superscript” checkbox for note symbol attributes in the edit note style not to have any effect
- Fixed an issue that caused the “Open in Mellel” service not to function
- Fixed an issue that caused changes to remarks in story character and story location to be lost when clicking on some other element in the pane
- Fixed an issue that caused the style set list to be shown unsorted in the menu and style set editor list under High Sierra
- Corrected tooltip for Increase/Decrease level buttons in outline pane for both the command name and keyboard shortcut
- Fixed an issue that caused changes in image title filed to be lost when dismissing the image edit popover without first moving to a different field or pressing enter
- Fixed a problem that made image/text box action buttons to look bad on non-retina displays.
- Fixed an issue that caused notes with the “below text” position to be exported to RTF as endnotes rather then footnotes
- Correctly importing “below text” footnotes as below text and not as “bottom of page” footnotes from RTF
- Fixed an issue that would cause bibliography scanning to override character attributes applied to citation if said attributes were applied when the citation was in final form
- Fixed an issue that would cause Mellel to reject a user name when activating Mellel if the user name is copied along with a terminating CR or LF
- Fixed an issue that caused “diamond” styles to appear in the paragraph and character style lists following working with edit Auto-title flows sheet or even switching between apps.
- Many localisation fixes, especially with the German localisation
Daily Ranking – Top 5 in This Category