Released: Feb 19th, 2018
Developer: Sonny Software
Mac Platform: Intel
OS Version: OS X 10.7 or later
Web Site: http://www.sonnysoftware.com/aboutreferenceminer.html
A fully-featured and cost-effective bibliography/reference and information management system specially designed to improve your workflow
Students, teachers and professionals from various areas of activity can use Bookends to search for and find information, store and analyze results, and piece together their work for submission or publication.
A simple to use and intuitive reference manager with a clean interface
Bookends is a powerful reference management application that enables you to handle multiple references, bibliography and other related information from within a user-friendly application.
In addition, Bookends supports you through your collection, citation and annotation process by allowing you to search for information over the Internet and import the data you need.
From Bookends’ main window you can effortlessly create multiple groups, notecards and term lists for all your references, cross link and tag clouds. You can also easily retrieve references and associated PDFs from various specialize websites such as Google Scholar, PubMed, JSTOR, Amazon, Web of Science and numerous university libraries.
Create customizable groups to better organize your references
It is also worth mentioning that various websites might require authentication and access privileges in order to provide access and allow you to search and import references for the PDF files that you already have.
Furthermore, Bookends helps you create static, virtual and smart groups, Team Lists based on authors and keywords, reference cross-linking, tag clouds and numerous notecards for your references. Consequently, you’ll be able to perform quick and resourceful live searches and instantly organize the retrieved information in your own collections.
Bookends' biggest advantage is that you can filter the displayed items and quickly find the reference information and attachments you need with just a few mouse clicks and keystrokes.
Inbuilt manuscripts generator and powerful synchronization features
Moreover, Bookends is fully compatible with documents created using Microsoft Word (2004 – 2011), Apple’s Pages (from iWork 08 and up), Mellel, OpenOffice, Nisus Writer Pro and any other word processor that can save RTF files. Hence, you can scan your documents and create publication-ready manuscripts containing bibliographies and footnotes.
Bookends also enables you to synchronize your library, including your PDFs with the Bookends application for iPad, iPhone and iPod touch. If you want to use the mobile version, Bookends On Tap, you need to purchase it via the iTunes store for your iOS device.
On the whole, Bookends is a one stop solution for all your reference management needs, with all the tools and features you require to effortlessly find, collect and organize all the information related to publish your academic papers.
What’s new in Bookends 13.0.6
February 19th, 2018
- Updated database engine
- Copy Citation and Copy Formatted will insert the corresponding text automatically in Apple Pages documents
- Rotate PDFs in the PDF viewer
- The names of temporary libraries created during a Rebuild will not be added to the Open -> Recent menu
- Created a workaround for a problem with the Science web site so that automatic PDF downloading works again
Improved metadata found with Crossref searches:
- The results will include abstracts and the number of times an article has been cited, if available.
Improved Cited Inspector:
- Drag and drop references cited in the paper, or select them and use a right-click, to import them into your library. References that are already in your library or that have no DOI will be ignored.
Replace spaces with underscores ( _ ) when renaming a PDF:
- This option is available in preferences.
Bookends will offer to automatically fetch the metadata when attaching a PDF from arXiv.org:
- This will work when importing the PDFs from the watch folder, too.
- Fixed a bug that caused an error to be thrown if you tried to attach a PDF or delete a reference immediately after doing a Rebuild. Fixed a cosmetic bug where the toolbar wasn't being drawn correctly when switching to the PDF view when in viewing in full screen. Fixed a bug where PDF tabs for different PDFs in the display pane and the attachments of a single reference could become confused. Fixed a bug that added the name of the temporary file created during a Rebuild to the Open -> Recent menu. Fixed a bug that caused the select PDF pop-up in the Attachments tab to be hidden when viewing in full screen mode. Restored the ability of Bookends to insert the formatted document into Word 15.x at the end of a scan. Fixed a bug in the Cited In Inspector where dragging the mouse extended the selection. Fixed a bug that caused an error to be thrown when closing a library window while the Inspector was open.