Descriptions for BetterZip 4.0.2
Name: BetterZip for Mac
Release Date: 05 Dec 2017
Mac Platform: Intel
OS version:OS X 10.10 or later
Processor type(s) & speed: 64-bit processor
Includes: Keygen (CORE)
Web Site: https://macitbetter.com/
BetterZip lets you quickly inspect archives without first extracting their contents.
- Extract Only Files You Really Need: If you only need a few files or folders from a larger archive, you don’t have to extract the whole thing. Simply drag the files you need from the BetterZip window to any Finder window or the desktop.
- Open Archives Without Extracting: Not only can BetterZip open archives without first extracting them but you can also search for a file using the iTunes-like interface. BetterZip can open and extract archives with the most common formats: ZIP, SIT, TAR, XAR, XZ, GZip, BZip2, RAR, 7-Zip, CPIO, ARJ, LZH/LHA, JAR, WAR, CAB, ISO, CHM, RPM, DEB, NSIS, BIN, HQX, DMG, EPUB, and Winmail.dat.
- Create Archives: Simply drag files and folders from your hard drives, disks, or network places into your new zip file. You no longer have to copy all the files into a temporary folder first. The supported formats are ZIP, TAR, GZip and BZip2 compressed TAR, XAR, 7-ZIP, and RAR (using the external RAR commandline tool). Large archives can also be split.
- Protect Your Data: BetterZip can protect your data with a password and create AES-256 encrypted archives. 7-zip and rar archives can also be protected.
- Update Archives: Add new or updated files to existing archives. Remove any file or folder from an archive, or even move files around inside the archive as if it were a normal folder.
- Make Archives Compatible: Strip Mac-specific files and resource forks from archives for best compatibility with systems like Windows or Linux.
What’s New in BetterZip 4.0.2
- BetterZip would sometimes fail to compress large archives on macOS High Sierra.
- The extraction of tar based archives with only one root item through the queue was still broken if the preset option “Create an extra folder” was set to “If archive has more than one root item”.
- Save panel was not drawn properly when “more options” was toggled on macOS 10.13 High Sierra.
- If the queue window was too narrow, the progress bar overlayed text.
- Cmd+Enter renamed the selected file instead of opening it in an external editor/viewer.
- Creating a new folder in an empty BetterZip window didn’t move the “drop here” screen out of the way.
- Two presets with the exact same name crashed BetterZip.
- Under certain circumstances BetterZip would crash at startup.
- Delete in Direct Mode had no progress indicator, which was confusing for large archives with long running delete operations.
- Removed cbr, cbz, and epub from the QL generator. There are specialized QL generators for these formats available.
- Added tooltips for the various image buttons in the preferences window for VoiceOver users.
- Creating xar archives in Direct Mode did not work correctly.
- If an archive contained files that did not have read/write permissions for the user, the files wouldn’t be accessible after extraction. BetterZip now adds user read/write permissions for all extracted files, just like macOS’ built-in Archive Utility does.
- The pattern comparison function of macOS High Sierra that BetterZip used when extracting archives would sometimes hang. I have switched to a more reliant alternative.
- Service names with “/” and “&” were problematic. This works now, but due to macOS limitations slashes are converted to colons.
- When extracting multi-volume rar archives BetterZip would sometimes display garbage next to the progressbar (e.g. Chinese characters).
- Extracting large rar archives would sometimes show wrong progress.
- You can now hold down the ⌘ key while double clicking a folder to extract and view it.
- I have added keyboard shortcuts to all the lists (presets, passwords, patterns) in the preferences window:Press ⌘N to add a new item and ⌫ (Delete, Backspace) to remove the selected item.
- BetterZip now supports recursive extraction of all files in a folder with the Finder button or presets in the services menu. Either select the folder in Finder or navigate into it and make sure to have nothing selected when invoking the extraction.
Daily Ranking – Top 5 in This Category