Descriptions for BBEdit 12.1
Released: Feb 6th, 2018
Developer: Bare Bones Software
Mac Platform: Intel
OS Version: OS X 10.11.6 or later
Web Site: http://www.barebones.com/products/
A comprehensive and flexible text and HTML editor that includes high-end editing, searching, and manipulation tools for any type of text
BBEdit is a feature-packed and state-of-the-art HTML and text processing macOS application designed to help you manipulate text in many other different ways than to your usual word processor.
Focused on editing and managing code
Moreover, the BBEdit editor does not include advanced options for formatting text, visual-based text altering tools, thesaurus or headers and footers, but it focuses instead on providing an efficient code editing tool for your everyday development needs.
With the help of BBEdit’s user intuitive and insightful user interface, you will be able to create and edit source files, webpages and any type of text document related to small or large development projects.
Regular expression based search and advanced code shaping tools
Furthermore, the BBEdit code processing utility, will allow you to make use of powerful features such as regular expression-based search and replace, fast and smart text coloring, highly advanced text transformations, code folding and completion, as well as other unique functions designed to make the process of code editing on a Mac as easy and as smooth as possible.
In addition, the BBEdit editor includes a vast set of options to help you edit text strings like source files for the World Wide Web or files for HTML and other programming languages.
HTML markup and web authoring
What’s more, if you are a professional web designer, you can use BBEdit to perform any web authoring task, as well as quick and swift HTML markup based code transformation tasks.
BBEdit also comes with extended support for tens of different web and desktop programming languages such as C++, Java, Perl, PHP, Ruby, SQL, Python and many more others.
As an added bonus, BBEdit provides you with the tools required for simultaneous and fast changing or finding of all occurrences of a piece of text in a set of files, for efficiently tweaking a webpage in a blink of an eye or for reformatting and modifying large text files in no time.
Scripting support for AppleScript and UNIX
Other noteworthy features include its integrated FTP and SFTP support, the robust spelling checker, tight integration with Adobe’s Dreamweaver, a command line tool and the advanced UNIX and AppleScript scripting support.
On the whole, BBEdit is a programming oriented text editor, with enough tools and features packed in to keep any developer happy, regardless of the type of project he’s working on.
What’s new in BBEdit 12.1
February 6th, 2018
- Improved dark-theme support – When using a dark color scheme, BBEdit now colors editing and project window chrome to match, for a more integrated overall appearance. (For customers used to the old behavior, this can be set in the "Appearance" preferences.) For customers who have never before used BBEdit or TextWrangler, the "BBEdit Dark" color scheme is now the factory default; this can be changed if desired in the "Text Colors" preferences.
- Improved platform behavior – Thanks to extensive internal overhaul, BBEdit now supports intrinsic OS behaviors such as Split View (and many others).
- Improved UI for FTP/SFTP Browsers, Text Factory, and Preview windows – many non-editing windows have been overhauled for improved appearance and behavior, and to add features.
- New "Canonize" tool – Provides a text-based model for batch search and replace, either within a single file or (by using a Text Factory) in multiple files.
- New "Columns" Editing Commands – Easily cut, copy, delete, or rearrange columns in delimited (CSV, TSV) text files without requiring a spreadsheet or complicated regular expressions.
- FTP/SFTP browsers now feature an outline view for improved navigation
- Text Factory windows now provide the ability to turn individual steps on and off
- Preview in BBEdit windows now provide runtime introspection of previewed pages using the WebKit Inspector
- Text Extraction – This powerful addition to BBEdit's legendary searching capabilities allows you to locate and collect search results into a single text document. Extraction can be run on the active text document, or across multiple files and folders. Use of Grep replacement patterns during extraction enables transformations to the extracted text.
- Extensive Internal Modernization – Many internal subsystems have been rewritten or updated to support new features, improve performance, add refinement, and make future enhancements possible.
You can read the complete change notes at: