Descriptions for The Long Dark 1.14
Name: The Long Dark
LANGUAGES: English, German, Russian
Mac Platform: Intel
OS version: OS X 10.9.3 or later
RAM minimum: 4 GB
Processor type(s) & speed: Core i5 @ 2.2GHz
Web Site: http://www.thelongdark.com/
Steam Store Page: http://store.steampowered.com/app/305620/The_Long_Dark/
WELCOME TO THE QUIET APOCALYPSE
Bright lights flare across the night sky. The wind rages outside the thin walls of your wooden cabin. A wolf howls in the distance. You look at the meagre supplies in your pack, and wish for the days before the power mysteriously went out. How much longer will you survive?
THIS IS THE LONG DARK
The Long Dark is a thoughtful, exploration-survival experience that challenges solo players to think for themselves as they explore an expansive frozen wilderness in the aftermath of a geomagnetic disaster. There are no zombies — only you, the cold, and all the threats Mother Nature can muster.
The episodic story-mode for The Long Dark, WINTERMUTE launches with two of the five episodes that form its Season One.
In Episode One: “Do Not Go Gentle”, bush pilot Will Mackenzie (player character) and Dr. Astrid Greenwood are separated after their plane crashes deep in the Northern Canadian wilderness in the aftermath of a mysterious flash of light in the sky. Struggling to survive as he desperately searches for Astrid, Mackenzie comes across the small town of Milton, where he begins to understand the scope of this quiet apocalypse.
In Episode Two: “Luminance Fugue”, Mackenzie’s search for Astrid takes him deeper into the savage Winter wilderness. A mysterious trapper may be the key to finding Astrid, but can he be trusted?
The first two episodes of WINTERMUTE represent approximately 15 hours of gameplay. Episodes Three to Five are included in the price of the game, and will be unlocked for free as they are released.
Features performances by Jennifer Hale, Mark Meer, David Hayter, and Elias Toufexis (Episode Three), and the music of Cris Velasco.
Survival Mode is the free-form, non-narrative survival sandbox that has been honed over nearly three years on Early Access.
- No hand holding! The game challenges players to think for themselves by providing the information but never the answers. You have to earn the right to survive.
- Permadeath! When you die in Survival Mode, your save is deleted. Every decision matters. [Note that WINTERMUTE does not feature permadeath.]
- Condition and Calories: Monitor your Hunger, Thirst, Fatigue, and Cold as you struggle to balance resources with the energy needed to obtain them. Every action costs Calories, and time is your most precious resource. Choose your path carefully.
- Scour the World for Supplies: Over 100 gear items including Tools, Light Sources, Weapons, First Aid supplies, Clothing, and more.
- A Vast Living World: Explore a 50 square kilometre Northern Canadian wilderness in search of precious supplies. In Winter. Dynamic time of day, weather, wildlife presence, etc. provide just enough randomness to keep things challenging.
- Survival of the Fittest: Hunt, fish, trap, climb, map, search for life-saving food and gear items, and try to avoid dying from the hostile wildlife, succumbing to hypothermia, frostbite, or dysentery (amongst other uncomfortable afflictions), find and maintain your life-saving gear.
- Hunt or Be Hunted: Wildlife to hunt and be hunted by: Wolves, Bears, Rabbits, Deer, Crows, and more to come in future updates.
- Choose Your Experience: Four distinct Experience Modes let you find a challenge level you are comfortable with, such as Pilgrim Mode, which is meant to be quiet and pensive, all the way to Interloper Mode, where only the most experienced survivors have a chance to last a week.
Survival is your only goal, and death your only end. Make your own survival story with every game.
Features the music of Sascha Dikiciyan.
Several standalone Challenge Modes offer objective-based experiences designed to last 1-3 hours each, such as Whiteout — the race to gather enough supplies to prepare for a monster blizzard. Or Hunted, where you need to escape a murderous Bear. Complete them to unlock Feats that provide long-term gameplay benefits in Survival Mode. Five Challenges exist at launch, with more on the way in future updates.
In addition to releasing the remaining three episodes of WINTERMUTE, we intend to continue updating Survival Mode, as we have done with about 100 updates/hotfixes over the past three years of Early Access. Keep in mind that your purchase of The Long Dark entitles you to all five episodes of WINTERMUTE, as well as updates to Survival Mode along the way.
Hinterland is a small independent developer of original interactive entertainment. Based on Vancouver Island, Canada, Hinterland’s team is largely distributed across North America. Although The Long Dark is the studio’s first game, Hinterland is made up of veterans of the “triple-A” games industry, with lead developers from several renowned studios including Valve, Ubisoft Montreal, Relic, Volition, Capcom, Radical, BioWare, Sony London, and United Front games.
What’s New in The Long Dark 1.14
Steam Patch 9 Updates The Long Dark to v1.14 (32663)
WARNING: There may be story spoilers in these notes.
- Improved screen flow leading to Episode Two once Episode One credits are complete or skipped.
- Episode Two: Fixed issue preventing Jeremiah’s Flare Trust mission from triggering correctly.
- Episode Two: Fixed issue that could prevent Old Bear from progressing to next waypoint in Bear Hunt mission.
- Episode Two: Fix for Lake Cabin key using the incorrect key asset.
- Episode Two & Survival Mode: Added Rope Climb to River area in Broken Railroad region.
- Survival Mode: Tuned Aurora frequency values to make it more rare.
- Survival Mode: Fixed duplicated gear items in Trailer.
- Added scrolling for Journal text that won’t fit entirely on screen.
- Fixed issue with gamepad controls when viewing Journal Notes.
- Fixed issue with Back button returning to Main Menu instead of previous screen when viewing Journal Notes from the Main Menu.
- Fixed issue with Cairn and Note collectibles not saving to Journal after death.
- Fixed issue where Flashlight pickup “hot spot” was awkwardly large.
- Fixed issue where Backer text appeared as “N/A” instead of the correct English text in translated versions; this text is meant to be left untranslated in all languages.
- Fixed issue with duplicate Bears spawning in the Challenge: Hunted, Part Two
- Fixed issue with duplicate Jeremiah Knives spawning in Episode Two.
- Fixed issue with being able to get past the collapsed bridge in the Broken Railroad region.
### END OF PATCH NOTES ###
Daily Ranking – Top 5 in This Category