Name: The Long Dark
Mac Platform: Intel
OS version: OS X 10.9.3
RAM minimum: 4GB RAM
Video RAM: Intel HD Graphics
Processor type(s) & speed: Core i5 @ 2.2GHz
DRM Free not tested on Sierra.
Patch 423 (09 June 2017) v.423 -- "FAITHFUL CARTOGRAPHER"
Web Site: http://www.thelongdark.com
Steam Store Page: http://store.steampowered.com/app/305620/The_Long_Dark/
***THE LONG DARK IS AN EARLY ACCESS TITLE. THE SANDBOX IS IN A CONSTANT STATE OF IMPROVEMENT, AND IT ISN'T FINISHED. BUYING THE LONG DARK ON EARLY ACCESS SUPPORTS OUR ABILITY TO CONTINUE IMPROVING THE GAME. FOR MORE INFORMATION, REFER TO THE EARLY ACCESS INFORMATION ABOVE.***
What is The Long Dark?
The Long Dark is a thoughtful, exploration-survival experience that challenges solo players to think for themselves as they explore an expansive frozen wilderness. There are no zombies -- only you, the cold, and everything Mother Nature can throw at you.
Current Game Features
The Early Access version of The Long Dark features the game’s non-narrative Survival Sandbox mode. The game will leave Early Access one we launch Episode One of our Story Mode. All Season One episodes are included in the cost of Early Access.
● No hand holding! The game challenges players to think for themselves by providing the information but never the answers. You have to earn the right to survive.
● Permadeath! See how long you can survive, check your standing on the global Leaderboards, then head back in and push yourself to survive longer.
● Monitor your Calorie count, Hunger and Thirst, Fatigue, and Body Temperature. Maintain your overall Condition if you want to survive. Let yourself weaken and any small threat may lead to your death.
● Over 30 square kms of wilderness to explore (and with more regions coming!). Mystery Lake, Coastal Highway, Desolation Point, Pleasant Valley, and more, all interconnected and each with dozens of explorable locations.
● Dynamic weather, wildlife, and time of day, all with an impact on how you choose to survive.
● Over 100 gear items including clothing, tools like hatchets and rifles, first aid equipment, foodstuffs, light sources like lanterns and flares, and firestarting equipment.
● Hunt Deer, Snare Rabbits, and watch for Crows as they can signify the presence of animal, or human, corpses that can be vital sources of Supplies. Wolves are territorial and will defend their territory, or stalk you if they catch your scent. If you let them get too close, you may find yourself in a desperate struggle to survive. Be on the lookout for Black Bears, as they roam the landscape in search of food.
● Harvest Wood for fuel, maintain your Gear and Clothing, and keep your Knife, Hatchet, and Rifle in top shape as they will save your life!
● Harvest Medicinal plants like Old Man's Beard Lichen, Rose Hips, Reishi Mushrooms.
● Deep First Aid system featuring many afflictions including: Sprains, Blood Loss, Infection Risk, Infection, Food Poisoning, Dysentery, and more.
● Craft Snares, First Aid items, Repair your Clothing and Tools, and Harvest raw materials from the environment, as you do your best to become self-sufficient.
● ...and much more!
With an average of 3-4 updates per month, The Long Dark is in a state of constant improvement. We have released over 75 updates since bringing the game to Early Access. Updates typically include new gameplay, tuning, new areas, items, and visual improvements. We are constantly improving the game based on our iterative development process, with input from the community.
Please note that the Early Access price provides immediate access to the Sandbox Mode, and includes the cost of Season One episodes of the Story Mode, the first of which will be available at the game's full launch.
The Hinterland Team
The Long Dark is brought to you by Hinterland Studio, an independent game developer comprised of industry veterans with significant credits on many renowned series including Far Cry, Red Faction, Saints Row, God of War, Mass Effect, Knights of the Old Republic, Dragon Age, Company of Heroes, and many others. The Long Dark is the team's first attempt to create a unique and thought-provoking independent game that pushes the boundaries of the medium.
We appreciate your support of our efforts!
What's New in Version 423:
* User Interface Overhaul. All screens, buttons, HUD elements, etc. have been updated to better match the game's aesthetic, along with some usability changes in anticipation of our August 1st launch of WINTERMUTE.
* Accessible Interactions. We've added a new option in the Control settings, for players who suffer from Carpal Tunnel Syndrome and similar conditions. This makes all click/press+hold interactions a single click/press.
* Save System Overhaul. We've recreated our save system from scratch to future-proof the game. As a result, all previous Sandbox saves are now invalid. Saves from FAITHFUL CARTOGRAPHER will not be wiped at our 1.0 launch.
* Charcoal Mapping. Collect Charcoal from burned out fires. Use it to Survey your local area, updating your local region map with information about what you can see from your current position. The new Navigation section of the Radial and Main Nav provides access to the Map.
* Carcass Quartering System. In addition to the previous harvesting mechanic, you can now "Quarter" a carcass into bags of harvestable meat, allowing you to transport them to a better location for further harvesting.
* Scent System & HUD Element. Blood (your own, or from carcasses) makes you more attractive to predators. The Strength of the attraction is indicated by the new HUD element.
* Visual Updates. We've updated the lighting, fog colour, and fog distance, providing much longer vista views in the game which makes it easier to navigate by visible landmarks. We've also been updating interior lighting. We'll be continuing this work right up to our August 1st launch.
* First-Person Presence. The following tools have been updated with first-person hands: Rifle, Bow, Distress Pistol, Stim, and all Light Sources.
* Thrown Flares & Torches. We've removed Brandishing and brought back the old Throwing mechanic. You can throw lit Torches and Flares at Wolves to scare them off.
* Stone Throwing. You can now pick up and throw Stones in the world. Hitting a Rabbit with a Stone will stun it, providing an early-game option for hunting. Then you have to decide whether to kill or release it. Thrown Stones might even scare off a wolf, if you're very lucky.
* Struggle Weapon Choice. When you get into a Wolf struggle, you now have the option to select between available tools based on the outcome you're looking for: Scare off the wolf, Defend yourself from damage, or go for the Kill.
* First Aid Treatment. You can now treat Afflictions by using First Aid items directly from the Radial. The game no longer pre-selects the correct Treatment for you. Also, Old Man's Beard Dressings no longer require Bandages to Craft but only treat Infection Risk (and not Blood Loss).
* Optimizations. We've updated Unity a few times and worked on several optimizations to improve performance.
* Enhanced Graphics Options (Win/Mac/Linux Only). We've added a variety of Display and Quality settings so that you can customize your preferences to balance between beauty and performance.
* PS4 Controller Support. As we're bringing The Long Dark to PS4 on August 1st, you can now play the game with a PS4 controller.
* Crafting from Journal. You can now preview Crafting Blueprints in the Journal. All craftables that can be made without the use of a Workbench or Forge can now be crafted directly from the Journal. [NOTE: The current Journal is WIP and will be updated for our full August 1st launch.]
CRASH MITIGATION AND BUG FIXES
* Too numerous to list.
KNOWN ISSUES (Will be Hotfixed ASAP)
* Issue with Hunted, Part 1. We need to add a Bandage to the starting location.
* New Time of Day indicator should appear in both the Quick Stats and Radial UIs.
* Some localization strings did not make it into the build in time; we have the translations and they will be submitted in the next hotfix.
* Investigating issues with the game not loading on some Linux distributions.